As a parent, you know that children are not always patient or cooperative for check-ups. A dentist who specializes in children’s dentistry knows how to examine and treat children in ways that make them comfortable. They also use specially designed equipment and offer an office environment that is welcoming to children to increase their comfort level.
Family dentists will practice general dentistry for people of all ages, but many will also specialize in children’s dentistry. For a family with children, this is often your best option to ensure that your dental clinic can offer care tailored to each member of your family.
A family dentist who has additional training in children’s dentistry will offer your child these unique and important benefits:
1. Pediatric dentists have an extra two to three years of special training to treat children of all ages from infants to growing teens. (More information below about the training a children’s dentist receives).
2. A dental clinic that offers children’s dentistry will typically have a waiting area and treatment rooms that are welcoming to kids and created to be both non-threatening and engaging for children’s unique perspectives.
3. Whether your child is super shy or super chatty, a children’s dentist knows how to handle every kid personality that walks through their doors.
4. Worried about your kid’s pacifier use, thumb sucking or bottle feeding? A children’s dentist is trained to support you with strategies on how to tame your child’s bad oral habits.
5. Baby teeth get cavities and often require dental treatment. A pediatric dentist is trained to work on tiny teeth.
6. A dental clinic that specializes in children’s dentistry will often have its whole team trained in accommodating child patients. Many hygienists are also trained to use smaller tools that are just the right size for your child’s mouth and jaw.
For a family dentist to specialize in children’s dentistry, they must attend a 2-3 year specialty dental education program that focuses on pediatric dental training after the completion of four-year dental school. This additional training includes various areas of study:
When your child visits their pediatric dentist, they will receive special care and attention from showing them each tool, explaining why it’s used and proper oral hygiene instructions to games, prizes and tv’s to help make the environment more familiar.
Children’s dentists know how to make your child’s visit fun. Most of our patients can’t wait to come back. Imagine — a child who wants to go to the dentist. Now that’s something to smile about!